Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tips, Reviews, and Idol Chit Chat..



Remember to become a follower, please

The Onion
The Onion is a love hate food for me, but I think I just jumped into the love world again. I love them because, they add zip, sweetness and texture to everything- hate them because of the thought of cutting one makes me ill. So the other day I was watching Chef Anne Burrell ( who I don't really love but, I just needed to zone for a minute) anyway she broke down an onion so effortlessly that I just had to go and do it myself, sure enough- a breeze- so here we go. Chop off the step side, leaving the "hairy" side, when you look at an onion it will make sense, pull the skin and one layer off. Cut in the onion in half completely. Then cut vertically into the onion but do not go all the way through to the hairy end. Cut in half horizontally ( again do not go through) then dice through.
Here's a slide show http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food/cooking/chop-onion-tips
and
Here is a link to my favorite summer yummy soup which highlights the onion beautifully
http://www.foodnetwork.com/secrets-of-a-restaurant-chef/index.html
Oh onion, I love you sooooo.

Review
M&M's Pretzel
I love chocolate covered pretzels so when I saw these in Sunday's paper .... Look out I was running to the store for them. I must say, don't! They are good but too much candy coating not enough pretzel (for me). And they melt quickly in the clinching hands of a 2 year old ( Sophia gets 1 when she stays dry as we are potty training.)
Try them for yourself to see but for me they won't land on the must have list.

Speaking of must have a GREAT CAN OPENER
It is a must in my house, lots of cans of beans and tomato products for sauce, Joyva Tahini, Olives and more. I have literally broke 6 can openers over the course of 2 months, and I am not talking cheesy ones either, good named solid can opener's. SO I NEED YOUR HELP, POST WHAT YOU USE AND WHAT YOU LOVE OR DON"T

GOOD NEWS FOR COFFEE DRINKERS
Research has shown that drinking 3 or more cups may lessen the effects of aging on the brain ( I am all for a young healthy brain, are you with me!?) and can reduce the chances of Alzheimer's, Just one catch it was only proven in women and was unfounded in men. So momma's drink on and save your brain, just watch the sugar and cream

And onto Summer Dinner's
Last night
LAZY COBB SALAD.
Pretty much I take most of the Cobb salad items (Avocado's, Black Olive's, Egg, Cuke's, Home made croutons, (Please don't buy croutons- such a waste of $, take whatever leftover bread that you are about to toss-minus the mold-, chunk them up, put them in a ziplock shake with some oil, garlic, onion powder and any other seasoning that jumps at you, fry them or bake them, oh I could live on these) some Cherry tomatoes and plate them "Spa Style" like a cold plate would be garnish with some chunky blue, balsamic and Sunflower oil. You would think it wouldn't be enough but Jeff loves when I do this. It lets you pick on all the yumminess of a salad in a very easy going way. Great for kids too, I just put them in little cups so Sophia really thinks she's putting it all together herself.

Tonight
Greek Pita's & Roasted French beans
( I have AC so the oven is not an issue for me but if it is blanch beans and toss with some EVOO & lemon or skip the blanch and just add the stuff either way is yummy)
Greek Dressing bought or made
Split Black Olives
DicedCuke's,
Split Cherry tomatoes
A small red onion (diced as in the above)
Feta or goat cheese
We don't do the meat but you can just boil ( yes boil chicken) or use Morning star chix strips (veg friendly)
Pitas
Toss everything (no chic or pita) together in a bowl and 30 min before serving. Warm Pitas for easier handling when you are ready stuff them, if using meat put it in first.
Beans
Clean and prep fresh green beans, toss in a zip lock toss with EVOO, garlic, salt and pep Lay flat on a baking pan and roast till they get a slight bit brown and crispy

Tomorrow
Stuffed Green Peppers (fridge clean out dinner)
(I need to use up some rice, quinoa and mini pasta letters)
I have a tiny portion of the above so I'll mix them together with some caramelized ONION, garlic, fine diced squash ( I have half of one that needs to go) and shred some carrots. Season them up to taste maybe with a pinch of curry and ginger. Stuff them in a halved green pep put a pat of Earth Balance on top and heat in the oven till warm. They'll probably get topped with a cheese sprinkling.



So enjoy and Keep those Bellies Happy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers