Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Salsa, Gauc, and Pizza oh my




Some yummy recipes from Florida..
My Step mom is a great cook. I love going there as she always has a new recipe to try. She is the reason I use mint. Love mint in everything now. Its my secret, well not any more huh? Try it in everything, you'll agree
But this time, it was my turn. So here is some of what we made.
There is a small Mexican restaurant (Ay Jalisco) that my father loves about 10 minutes from his house. The apple does not fall far from the tree on this one, I could live on Chips and Salsa and nothing else. I have actually when Jeff and I were first together and he worked out of town, my grocery list was just that. That is actually when I started to make my own Tortilla's as well. Any who, they make a really yummy simple and fresh tasting salsa, so we set out on a mission to recreate it. We came pretty close.

*****CONFESSION*****
I hate measuring anything. That is probably the main reason why it took me so long to give up some of my recipes. I really don't know how much of what I used.So I am working on that for you. Cooking really is a matter of your own taste. So when cooking just keep tasting and see what it needs, heat, sweet, spice, smoke, salt or zip and go from there.

Salsa
1 Large can of whole Tomatoes
1/2 of a med sweet onion diced fine
1 Jalapeno seeds removed (they hold the heat so use you judgment here)
1 lemon
To Taste Cilantro,Sugar,Cumin,Salt & Pepper, Chipotle Tabasco

Mix them up and then run an immersion blender through it, ever so quick and lightly, you don't want it to be completely liquid.
Add 1/2 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes diced to thicken it up.
Let it sit for a few hours to help all the flavors marry. Eat with fresh chips or serve with your favorite dish

You can make this chunkier like a Pico De gallo by using all fresh tomatoes. I like to do this when they are at their best come mid August, when the farmers markets are just brimming with them.

Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
1/2 onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
A few squirts of Chipotle Tabasco
Cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Garlic crushed
Fresh lime or lemon juice (This is huge as to protect from browning and give it a bright kick)
A dash of freshly grated black pepper & Salt
1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
Smash it all together, That's about it on this one. If you like it a bit smokey tasting add some cumin.


Spinach Artichoke Pizza (Dinner tonight)

Dough

2 pkg. rapid rise yeast
2/3 c. warm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 c. flour + More for rolling ( I used my favorite King Arthor, white/wheat)
1 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. olive oil or any other oil I used Sunflower. Its a fun way to change the taste of the dough to make it your own
2/3 c. warm water

In a small bowl, mix first 3 ingredients. Let stand for 5 minutes until foamy.

In a large bowl, combine salt, 2 cups flour, Mix together yeast and flour mixture make a stiff dough then add sugar oil, and the second 2/3 cup of warm water, add the rest of the flour to make a good size dough ball
Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic.
Place dough into an oiled bowl and turn once to coat with oil. Cover and let rise until doubled in size (about 45 minutes to 1 hour).
Sprinkle a pan with cornmeal or semolina flour. Press dough out with your fingertips

Sauce
1/2 cup Olive oil
Mint, Fresh Garlic minced, Salt & Pepper, Minced onion
(Make this right after the dough, so that while the dough is rising the oil is getting a chance to soak up all the flavors)

Toppings
Spinach (I used baby leaves, stacked them, rolled them and cut into strips)
1 can of quartered artichokes
1 pint of grape tomatoes halved
Olives if you choose
Romano and Mozzarella Cheese

Once the dough is ready, roll it out to fit you pan, (I used the big Pampered chef Stone bar pan, I think its 11x15). Brush most of the oil on the dough. Sprinkle the romano cheese. Layer Spinach, Artichokes, Tomatoes, Olives, drizzle with a bit more of the oil and cover with Mozzarella cheese. I had this in the oven for about 15 minutes on 425 in my convection oven. Every oven varies so keep an eye on yours.

Serve with a Crunchy Ceaser salad and its a perfect Pizza night

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers