Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

CSA Bounty


Please sign in as a follower

I have always wanted to belong to a Co-Op. I am not sure why we waited so long but this year we did it and joined a small farm tended to by my Principals husband. It is such a good feeling to know the person who is loving on your food. This particular farm is all Organic and is cared for by hand, no big scale trackers or fancy stuff here. I love going to pick up our share. As you pull in, you are greeted by goats and chickens just running about and lush greens towering over head. Each week is such a surprise as you get what the harvest has reaped. So it has added a bit a zest to my meal planning.
One of my new loves has come from this adventure, Beets!!!!
If you have never tried a fresh beet or are use to them in the can (oh what fond memories we all have of the ring marks jiggling on the Thanksgiving table)
try this:
Boil the beets till they are tender. (same as potatoes start them all in cold water)
Drain, slice and cover in butter (I use Earth Balance or Smart Balance), salt and pepper. Its that simple. Yummy in your tummy... And it helps to add a bright pop to your plate, who doesn't love the richness and vibrant hue of deep purple?

You can also saute' the greens and sprinkle a bit of vinegar over them. I am still working on this one, the first time I did it, I wasn't a fan. But many people I have talked to love them this way. For me the greens are a texture thing.

So for this week, our share consisted of many heads of Boston and butter leave lettuce, A few different varieties of cukes, some massive sweet onions, fresh carrots, (I felt like Peter Cottontail when I saw the greenery still attached) Zukes, and a mystery green (I am thinking its a chard of some kind).

It will make for a yummy week I am sure.

To give you a taste of what's for dinner this week:
A Mexicali Chop, 3 Pepper Pasta, Homemade Veggie Burger night, Potstickers with Asian Slaw.
I am also planning on making my own nut butter this week. I came across a simple recipe to make your own peanut butter so I want to play with that and what goes better with PB then homemade strawberry Jam and Fresh homemade bread.

Till then Keep those bellies happy

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I look forward to hearing more about the crop share and maybe even joining next year! And that it is all organic!!!

    I am a LOVER of fresh beets...I too tried the greens for the first time this year and was not a huge fan...I'm willing to try them again though...if you figure out a good recipe let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Followers