Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Get in the kitchen and love on your food

I just passed over and article that was all about the love you put in to your food. I think it was last season of Top Chef that Carla was on (she was recently featured in Clean Eating Mag), anyway she always said it didn't matter what happen because it was made with love. What it looked like or how it got there didn't matter.... I love that. One of the many reasons I love being home in the summer is just that, I have prep time and time to get involved in my food. In the end your meal and body will thank you for the extra time. In no way am I saying be a slave in your kitchen. Just use good stuff and you'll get good stuff back. Put love in and you'll get love out. Simple
Have you paid attention to what a ripe Avocado feels like, smells like...? How about melon (have you ever seen the little old lady in the store smelling it?) How about spices, take the time to feel, smell handle them, it means so much when you get in to it all. You are more likely to try things when your not scared and spending a little time getting to know your food helps.
I had some time tonight to get tomorrows dinner pretty much all prepped and as I sit down it feels so good. Besides NEEDING to be in my happy place for a bit, I had the chance to cut, dice, stew, mix and bake for tomorrow, which opens up so much more time as well. So I am turning in for the night already feeling good about the day ahead. How huge is that?
I Digress, speaking of happy places, where is yours and what do you do there, do you have one or ever thought about it? The pastor at church last week made a comment that if he was lost his wife would know to go to the beach to find him, Jeff leaned into me and said, "well that's easy, I would just check the kitchen" Yep, that's for sure. Some people stress eat, I stress cook. I spoke of it in a prior post. I just love that the kitchen asks nothing of me and expects nothing of me. I am really working on shelving issues that are not mine. I can do that in the kitchen. So for some that think my kitchen antics are a bit much, no its not that at all, its just life is a bit much.
Anywho....
Here was last nights dinner, which got rave reviews by the way.
Mexicali Chop

You can use your favorite store bought chip or make your own
My version:
Cut about 6-8 small corn tortilla's into strips, toss them in a large zip lock with a splash of oil, 1/2 tsp chili powder,1/4 sugar and salt. Shake them up and bake flat on a cookie sheet for about15min @350.
Mix your dressing:
1/2 c EVOO
2 minced cloves of garlic
2 cumin, ground coriander
1 tsp sugar
Salt,
lime juice
a good pinch of chopped cilantro
minced onion
Wisk it all up, I ran it through my mini food processor to blend it a bit better and let in chill in the fridge
The Salad
Romaine, tomatoes, avocado, celery, cukes, fresh or frozen corn, Pinto or black beans, Roasted red pep, red onion.
Layer it all in a really big bowl and serve.
(Sophia eats everything we do, I just deconstruct hers a bit more, instead of a salad she gets more of a spa style plate, with everything laid out to pick on. For me kids do better when they have a bit more choice so they can pick on the beans or corn or avocado's and get the pure flavor, for some the big mix of everything is a bit much)

Tonight
Zuke Fritters over Pasta

2 Shredded Zukes
1 egg beaten
flour (sorry but this one in by feel, but its about a good handful)
1 small onion diced finely
Garlic, S & P to taste.

Mix it up in a bowl, you what everything to bind but still be a bit sticky.
Take about 1/4 cup or again a good handful and press it to make a patty.
Fry them in a shallow pan of oil till each side is nice and golden.
I just used a small thin pasta (which almost looks like chopped up spaghetti, I forgot the name but it is actually listed as a soup pasta). I tossed in some Vegan Parmesan By Rice dream, it all came together nicely.

Happy cooking to all and to all a good night.

I am off to get a good nights sleep, we are headed to the dentist for the first time with Sophia tomorrow, wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers