Search This Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Best Day



I've been on "vacation" or holiday from work for just about 4 days now (not counting the weekend) we have had a few things to do each day but today was just a very nice stay at home day. I very purposely did not sign up for any classes or such this summer for myself or for Sophia. My goal live with out a clock for once! BIG step for me. It all started on Sunday, we headed out after nap (about 4pm) to an assumement park with some friends, let me tell you Sophia clearly takes after Jeff in this department, upon descending the steps of each ride, MORE MOMMA, MORE! It started to rain and we were all having such a great time we headed back to their house for pizza. Sophia plays great with other children especially their little boy (he is 1 month older then Phi) and as we caught the two of them running down the hall way with grand smiles it was clear that detouring from our normal Sunday get ready for school routine was the best choice. I must add the run was prompted by Sophia's clear direction to her friend "Come on let's run crazy!!!!!". Monday was spent with a great friend who is also a teacher with a little girl celebrating our first day of Freedom, we met her and her daughter at the Zoo. We had time on our side as it started to rain while we were inside the Rain Forrest exhibit, this lead to an impromptu corner of the building picnic. Just as we finished the rain cleared as well. The rain came down so hard that it left the most inviting puddles, both girls were clearly covered from head to toe in water and joy! At that point what a better way to cap off the day, ice cream, Sophia loves her ice cream and makes sure the world knows it. Good thing we are pretty close to the zoo as she got to drive home in just her undies, while her clothing lay in the back of my car covered in rain, mud and chocolate soft serve.....
Rather then a full daily play by play I'll cut to the title of this post BEST DAY EVER, today.
Phi woke up and brought just about all of the books she could handle into my bed. "Momma, coffee, milk and books, let's snuggle" well who am I to argue with that. After about and hour she holds on to my cheeks and looks right into my eyes, "Momma, this is the best day, my best day ever!" yes my dear it is! Which just sealed the deal that we don't need to be running for the clock each minute of our day. I am a very routine person and like things to be predictable, I deeply feel it makes the day run better and for the most part it does. Lunch is always the same time, nap, dinner, bath and bed too, but the in between stuff is nice to just let it go.
So on to the food:
The daily menu: Blueberry Chip pancakes for breakfast, a picnic lunch and Polenta with fresh picked sugar peas and squash

Pancakes:

You'll need
1 cup of King Author White Whole Wheat flour (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/white-whole-wheat-flour.html) (Good Flour is worth its weight in gold, don't cheap out here and always look for unbleached unbromated)
2 Teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon Wheat Germ
1 Tablespoon Organic sweetener ( go the the real thing or stevia, everything else yes may save calories but is loaded with chemicals that will make you sick)
1 Egg or and equal amount of egg replacer
3/4 cup of almond or rice milk
Vanilla to taste
Blueberries, chocolate chips to taste

Mix it all together, warm up your griddle and go.

Dinner Polenta cakes and squash and steamed sugar snap peas
You'll need
Meilssa's Polenta if you are in a hurry or make your own (http://www.melissas.com/)
Safflower & Earth Balance to fry
Your choice of whatever fresh local squash type veggie you like, (I used zukes and gold bar from a CSA farm I have a share in) Sliced
Garlic scrapes
Spikes seasoning
Sugar snap peas ( these were also part of my share this week, but you could very easily switch them for fresh green beans which are in season too, I have a love affair with green beans, but that's another day).

Heat the oil in a fry pan, make polenta patties or cakes if using the home made version, or if using Melissa's just slice about 1/4 in patties and go. Flip on each side till the cake is crispy. Set on a chees cloth or think paper towel to cool and catch and extra oil drips. Mean while add a pat of Earth Balance to the pan let it melt and toss the squash till it is about crisp tender, mushy squash is so not a good thing and it cooks fast so keep your eyes on it. Toss in a pich or 2 of Spike to taste and the garlic scrapes. meanwhile steam the sugar peas (after, take them out of the pod)Drizzle a little balsamic over them and plate it all up.

If you have not tried Polenta, I urge you.. It is so handy and versitle. Prepared the way above it reminds me of a Potato pancake/latke.

I am off to enjoy a bit of a book, coffee and attempt to load the dish washer, ( I'll have to share my struggle on this with you some day,) With that, what are you tips for dish washer loading, I can never seem to get them in the right places?
Enjoy and good cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers