Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Soup and Stationary

Well back to the work world again, so a crock pot soup was in order for the menu this week.
Funny thing that little pot, its like having a cook come to your home and whip up something fabulous that sends a delicious smell whirling through the air when you come home. Who doesn't love or need that?
Try this Savory Lentil Soup (via PETA)


2 cups dried lentils
8 cups water
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped carrot
3 Tbsp. snipped parsley
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried leaf oregano
14.5-oz. can chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp. wine vinegar

Rinse the lentils and place in a slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients, except the tomatoes and vinegar. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Add the tomatoes and vinegar. Cook on high for 15 minutes, until hot.

You can change vinegars add other seasonings or pasta at the end as well.
And as a freind said its soup you make it with what you have or don't and embrace the warmth......


I have been finding new joy in an old love.. Stationary...
I am seriously obsessed with stationary. I love the crispness, the texture, the smell of really good stationary, if I walk into a store and find a beautiful set of note cards, it is almost impossible for me to walk away and not buy them. The good thing is that I also love to write notes, so luckily I actually use stationary for the most part. The problem is, I can't seem to use it at the rate that I buy it. To make matters worse, when I really love a particular set of cards I only use them for "special occasions" (in other words I hoard them). I know I will be writing a million thank you notes over the next weeks, I typically pride myself on the swiftness of wrtitng them. But lately, I have let it slide and feel just awful about it, I have cards that I addressed in Auguat! So I have been going through my stash and looking at what I have, and need ~ check this out...
My favorite brand
I also have found a therapeutic niche in making my own. I have just dabbled in it so far but I can so see myself stocking up on stamps, paper, ribbon and such. Finding a fun tote to store it all in and creating something so person specific that the card itself is just as much a gift as the words themselves. I think that's it, I just adore notes.. In my mind it takes so much more effort to write a note and stamp it then see it to the post box, it just makes people feel good.
Try it next time you are staring down a card lane at any store, pick a random person and treat them to a lovely little gem via the mail. You'll warm their day and your own just with a moment or 2 of your time. Nothing better then a feel good colored envelope, (big on those, they can't be white)that's not a bill or a plea for money or political ugg to save the day.
Its another one of my "work on me" thoughts for the new year, make life more people not stuff....
Have a lovely eve, I am off to pick up a rental car.... yes I was bonked again.....Actually for the 1st time in my 17 years of driving, I was the bonker. More on that later

1 comment:

  1. I love the "make life more about people not stuff". I always talk about my mom when I think of that. She never ever had the latest greatest anything, never even cared to keep up with the Jones. But she was ALWAYS helping, thinking, praying for others. Think of all the time she saved by not really focusing on her "stuff". Thats why this moving thing is driving me crazy... I feel like all we have been thinking about is "stuff". How to move it, pack it, repaint it. I can't wait to just get back to normal life and not think about ANY of that! I love waking up and thinking, who needs to be blessed today, not what do I need to do on my house today!!

    You were the bonker???

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Followers