Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

Craving muffins

I like many other am aware, very aware how the past few weeks have decided to sub let space on my waist line.. So of course I set some food goals to be aware of for my little house.
1-Try to switch out white flour for whole grains when possible
2-Expand our veggie knowledge and tastes beoynd the norm
3-Bean it up....
So my first mission Wheat Flour in Muffins
I suddenly got a taste for chocolate chip muffins. Its not something I eat often, can't remember when honestly but they just sounded like they would be a nice treat to wake up to.
So I played around a bit and here is what I came up with.


Oatmeal, Apple Chocolate Chip Breakfast Muffin
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons quick cooking oats (Roughly)
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons Chocoalte Almond milk
1 egg
1/4 cup Homemade Applesauce
1/4 cup +packed brown sugar
1/4 cup Dark chocolate chips
About 1 T of Flax meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry flour (sifted about 6 times to bring extra air into it which cuts down on the heaviness of wheat, measure after sifting as amount will change)

Directions

Combine oats and milk and allow to stand for about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees I used convection
Stir egg, apple sauce, flax meal, brown sugar, chocolate chips into the oat and milk mixture.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add oat mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just moist. Carefull with wheat over mix will add in the toughness. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with the remaining brown sugar and pecans if you'd like.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
I had one about 8 minutes after they came out of the oven. Moist, chocoaltely but not sweet, healthy taste but not "fiber like".
We'll see in the morning but as of now can't wait to try.

3 comments:

  1. They were a hit. They remained soft and kept the same look as the picture, so not a fluffy looking muffin. That's my one thing with whole grain flour, the denseness, we'll work on that a bit. The Chocolate milk added a little richness to them and a darker color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too sure, mad the recipe up as I went along.
    To be honest I am not a calorie counter, I try to balance everything out and go by how my clothes feel and I feel overall

    ReplyDelete

Followers