Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

I so get it



Today was a beautiful snowy day. Soft, thick, fluffy snow. Heavy enough to be seen, light and wet enough not to stick or make a mess. And to top it off, it was a balmy 30 degrees out. (I always love when the weather foke use that word).
Phi and I came home from a great morning of lounging in bed, the gym, a little shopping and an impromtu with lunch with our favorite people. She went down for a nap and I geared up for my first outdoor run. I have to clock the miles yet but I am pretty sure it was 2. Which is where I comfortably need to be, by the 14th when I start running with a group.
I was half way in to it and I knew. I had flashes of that seen in What women want with Mel Gibbson, where they are reviewing an ad for Nike... An odd peace, me and my breath, keeping up to the beat of my heart, talking with God and then quite.
Motivation

Keep your belly happy
Here's 1 of my favorite new recipes
Crispy "fish" tacos from Little House of Veggies

1 package of extra firm tofu
1/2 cup of white whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. creole seasoning
1/2 cup of milk of choice
1 cup Panko Japanese breadcrumbs (these are a must!! They make them really crunchy/crispy!)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray or oil a large heavy baking sheet.
Drain the tofu and gently press it between a towel to remove some of the moisture. Be careful not to smash it. Cut the tofu into 1 inch thick "sticks". You should get about 14-15 of them.
Mix the flour and creole seasoning in a bowl, Milk in another and in the crumbs in another. Dredge the tofu in the flour first, then dredge in the milk, and then into the Panko breadcrumbs, pressing to make sure it is covered well. Lay on the baking sheet. Finish this process with the rest of the tofu, and bake for 25 minutes until crispy.
Sophia loved breading them for me, it was nice a easy for her to do and so fun to get her hands dirty. The smile on her face when we were eatting them priceless.

For the Colorful Cabbage Slaw:
1/2 head of green cabbage
1/4 head of purple cabbage
1 large carrot grated
(This was the original recipe, but I used the bagged broccoli slaw at Wegmans)
1/2 cup cilantro
3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt, and pinch of pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp Veganaise vegan mayo (this is so worth every penny, we think its creamier and better tasting than mayo)

Add shredded cabbage and carrots into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat well.

For the Tacos:
Crispy Tofu "fish"
Colorful Cabbage slaw
corn tortillas (look for a clean brand that contains only 3-4 ingd.)

Gently warm the tortilla. Place 1 tofu "fish" stick in to the taco. Ad a bit of the dressing over it and a good tomatillo salsa over them

_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers