Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Saved by Strawberries

Strawberries are just one of those things that signal summer has arrived! I have memories of picking with my mom and love that Phi enjoy's doing it with me. This year they came at just the right time. We had quite the night on Monday (Buttons were being pushed left and right) and for both Phi's sake and my own I needed to get us out of the house on Tuesday (which was also my Dad's birthday). Strawberry picking was just the thing we needed. It was rainny and a bit mucky but we donned our boots and headed to the farm to meet a friend and pick our cares away. An hour and 8 quarts later, we were pretty distracted and ready for a quite night. I'll use these for scones and cooking, homemade ice cream, jam and pies. This year we had a pretty good frost sweep in after an early warm spell so hopfully I'll be able to pick another 2 flats for freezing and jamming but we'll see how that goes. You had to know a recipe would be coming up :) If you've never made scones, I highly suggest them. They are pretty easy to toss together, are great for breakfast or after dinner with tea. Strawberry Scones Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries 3 cups all-purpose flour 1 tbsp. baking powder 1/3 cup maple sugar 1 t Penzey's cake spice pinch of salt 1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes 1/4 almong milk 3/4 cup Greek yogurt 1. Preheat oven to 400. In a mixer, combine all dry ingredients on low speed. With mixer running, gradually add cubes of butter until the mixture is crumbly. 2. Add strawberries, almond milk, and yogurt. Mix until all ingredients mixxed anf dough is stiff. 3. Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured surface. Pat dough into a 1-inch-thick rectangle Cut in half down the long side and then into thirds down the short side. Cut each square into triangles for 12 scones. 4. I put a little egg wash on them and sprinkled with coarse sugar baked for about 15-20 minutes till nice and golden. I made a simple glaze with akmond milk, powder sugar and almond flavor to strip on the top. Enjoy. How do you enjoy your berries?

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back on here, looking forward to reading:)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you go to Thorpe's? I was there yesterday with the kids! 3 flats and my chest freezer is now officially full!

    These scones look delicious! I might have to make them this weekend. And this morning for breakfast we had steel cut oats with sliced strawberries, milk and drizzled with nutella. Soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that sounds like a great breakfast! We did, I love it there. I they are open till dark, I usually go 1x with Phi and again by myself and pick about 2 or 3 more flats. Love looking at a full freezer. I made jam with this batch too, I'll be posting on that this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers