Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ventures into Valentines

So this year, I am so excited about Valentines and my bday which follows shortly after. This is not typical of me, I can only sum it up as, I need to be refreshed and Sophia is all about making crafts and birthdays lately so what better motivation....
Here's a litle peek into our weekend.
On Friday Phi woke up very early saying her head hurt, turns out she had a good temp going on with sneezes and coughs. Ugg the cold bug got her now. She slept all day Friday by Staurday she was pretty much back into swing but we laid low,I am a firm believer in quantines...., which meant, I kept her home from church as well, as not to catch anything else and continue the road to recovery.
So we got to work making a special secret cake for Jeff
Chocolate Cherry Cake

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2cup sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dark)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Almond milk
1 can of Cherry pie filling
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
4 teaspoon instant espresso powder

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease 2- 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. I used my heart pan. 2. Sift or whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, pie filling, vinegar, vanilla,almond and optional espresso powder until smooth and espresso is dissolved.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix with a whisk until combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the cake pans. Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Careful with you over and pan here. Mine took 30 min on convection.
5. Once the cakes are completely cooled

We are going to make ganache tomorrow when we come home from school and poor it over the cake before we serve.

Phi couldn't help but make a seat to watch the magic happen.

While that was baking we started to make our Velentines. I'll let the pics speak for themselves...
SO much fun
Notice the pink arms!
All cleaned up and ready for lunch..
I'll post the finished Valentines later. Till then have a simple Sunday and keep your belly happy

1 comment:

  1. You're such a cool mom. :) What fun activities! The recipe sounds delicious. That shower babe photo is so sweet—Sophia looks so grown up!

    ReplyDelete

Followers