Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

"Orange you glad.."

I've never been an orange person but one day about a year ago, while roaming through my favorite market, a bag of beautiful orange globes just beckoned me..There they were
Cara Cara Oranges. I was smitten after the first bite
Here's what Sunkist had to say
Newly branded "The Power Orange." Cara Cara Oranges are a special variety of juicy, low acid, seedless navels packed with more natural nutrition and minerals to power a healthy immune system. An excellent source of vitamin C, A and fiber; a good source of foliate and potassium, and a natural source of Lycopene, the disease-fighting antioxidants.
So when we couldn't find them again, we went on an oragne taste test.
The test subjects include:
Blood Which made Sophia smile as they some what look purple. I've seen them in a lot of recipe's and have heard people rave over them. For me, not an orange I would pick up and eat, but I will use them in a recipe or 2. They were not a juicy, chin messing orange and had an odd sweetness to them.
Temple These were really sweet and sooo juicy but filled with seeds which, seem to be part of their make up. Good for me but hard for Sophia to eat.
Honey tangerine's These I can clearly say, I was not a fan of. They had a wonderful write up as the sweetest Tangerine for me, not so much!!
So I must say, for me it will still remain the Cara Cara will be my favorite. If you check them out careful, cause you'll want to look for the straight Cara Cara rather then the Cara Cara navels.
Enjoy your own fruit test and share/post your findings

2 comments:

  1. I thought of you as I hit up the citrus stand at Wegmans today! I bought some cara cara and a few temples. Tried the temples today and they are a little too juicy for me and the seeds are a bummer. But I'm excited to try the cara cara's tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe the amount of seeds? It's crazy. Here's the Q? Did you buy Cara Cara's or cara cara navels? Enjoy them

    ReplyDelete

Followers