Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

yummy updates



So last week I posted about a new flatbread pizza we were trying out.
Well it was a major hit. Its from the chef chole blog
http://www.chefchloe.com/blog/2-blog/37-flatbread-with-roasted-apple-butternut-squash-and-caramelized-onion.html
You may have to copy and paste the link.
It has inspired me to try other savory ideas on my pizza, esp with all of fall's yumminess around.

I used the left over squash to make soup.

My recipe is a take on The Joy of Cooking's version.
Butternut Squash Soup
1 (2 to 3 pound) butternut squash, peeled and seeded
1 diced apples
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cups Veggie stock
Nutmeg
I tossed some shredded Asiago at the end to make it a bit richer
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. In large pot melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove squash chunks with slotted spoon and place in a blender and puree. Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

I popped this into a container to have on Saturday with a salad after our fall adventure.

and of course I've been working on those apples, we think we are into the 120's
Apple Muffins

Cream together:
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 Stick of butter
1 Tablespoon vanilla
Dry
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a few grates of nutmeg
3 cups peeled, cored, diced apples (around 3 apples)
Brown sugar for topping (around 1/2 cup)

1/2 cup almond milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. The batter will be very thick. At this point I added the almond milk Add the diced apples.

Butter & flour muffin tins or use paper liners. Fill muffin tins to the top. Sprinkle with brown sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Sidebar I made these at 9:30 last night and when they came out had Jeff try them. He had 4..... They were just so yummy. Easy and quick nice treat if you need to take something to someone.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could make a pizza like that! Jon won't eat squash or onions!!! I am definitly going to make those muffins, yum!

    ReplyDelete

Followers