Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Random thoughts and more


I just love this picture of Phi grazing in the Apple Orchard. No cares, no worries no fears. Just on a mission for the perfect fruit, aren't we all?

(and) So another week is upon us, the air is crisp, cold and fragrant of all things fall. Within me, stirs an unsettled feeling of too many major moments all happening at once. So of course into the kitchen I sink. Most nights have consisted of me up till 10 or 11 cooking something, not because I need to or want to for that matter, but to help ease my fears, hurt, anger, guilt and sadness.
I've been praying for clarity and strength lately as I feel like I've been hanging out in the forest alone for way to long. Have you ever felt that way?
Well through this life, our day, other lives, the world, the seasons and everything else is still moving at lightening fast speeds. I have been trying to be aware of where my head and heart are each day and it seems to help steer the course of the day. On days when things are turned on edge, I retreat, On days or moments when they are good I rejoice and fit in with the masses.
During this time I have also been praying for others, for in the grand performance of it all, my life and hiccups do not measure up to those in the heat of the battle with sickness, grief, struggles, and need. Pray for someone today, they need it.

Now on to yummier notes of the meals this week:
San Marzano tomato sauce
Lettuce wraps and dumplings
Veggie Alpha soup
Mushroom and Veggie tartlets with bulgar salad
Enchilada bake
This weekend is another busy one of dinners with friends and a Halloween zoo adventure So Friday and Sat does not need to be planned.

In talking with a friend, I had this huge awakening, Sauce! It is so simple and yet scares so many people. If you make your own you cut down on fat and sugar too.
Here's one I just tryed (which by the way in the foodie blog world has been floating around as a must try, for me it was very close to what I typically make mine actually has a few more steps then this one but its a good starter)

Tomato Sauce

1 large can of whole peeled San Marzano (I usually us my own canned, but this kind of tomato was one of the reasons this recipe is being praised)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved not diced (my step mom shared this with me about 1 year ago and the flavor is wonderful when used this way)
Salt, Mint and Fresh garlic to taste
(my secret 1 whole potato)

Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan (it fit just right in a 3-quart) over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. Add the whole potato (It soaks up the moisture and thickens the sauce) Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add the seasonings to taste (you might find, as I did, that your tomatoes came salted and that you didn’t need to add more) and keep warm while you prepare your pasta.
SO SIMPLE Right?
There are so many versions of sauce there really is no wrong way, its a matter of taste and texture.

Make it easy on your self and make this x like 6 or more. Let it cool completely and package it in ziplocs or other freezer safe dinner sizes and you are ready with your own "jarred" sauce in no time.

So here's to another day, hour and minute, and the prayers and shoulders that caryy us through.
Keep your belly happy

1 comment:

  1. We love that recipe for sauce (and I actually use an even easier recipe w/ just onion, can of tomatoes and butter). And guess what we had for dinner last night - cheddar, apple and onion panini's! They were soooo good! Thanks for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Followers