Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Take that S---bucks

Apparently, I've have coffee and sweet treats on my brain. Of course it probably helps that Sophia (almost everythime we are in the car) asks to go to the "Scone store" and I can't say no right?!!!! Well, with summer here and a goal of staying home more and not spending so frivolously, I needed to perfect the at home scone. Pretty simple infact and I am sure over the summer we'll be adding and tweeking along the way.
From start to finish I think they took about 30 minutes. Very doable with a toddler Sous Chef or for a momma fix durring nap time.
Vanilla Scones

For Scones:
1 c. Brown Rice flour
3/4 c. Unbleached organic all-purpose flour
1 T. Baking powder
1/2 t. Salt
1/2 c. Smart balance
1/4 c. Raw sugar
3 t. Maple Sugar
1 1/2 t. Vanilla
For Glaze:
1 c. Powdered sugar
3 T. Coconut milk
1/2 t. Vanilla
Mix the flours, baking powder and salt. Cut in the "butter"
In another bowl,mix the sugar, milk and vanilla. Combine the two, just till mixxed, careful not to over mix here, roll out on a floured board about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick, cut into rectangles then triangles. be careful and transfer them to a baking pan.Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until scones are starting to brown slightly and are firm to the touch. Transfer to a cooling rack.
While they cool make the glaze by mixxing powdered sugar, milk,vanilla. Add milk slowly to get the right texture.
When scones have cooled, drizzle glaze over the top of each scone and allow to set. I actually flip them over and glaze the bottoms (which become the top). I was once told the flat side keeps the icing and glaze on cookies better so it's just the way I do it now.

Enjoy and tweek as needed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers