Search This Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2011

What's for dinner?

So for the first time in a while I was lacking any inspiration for dinner!
I have been trying not to be at the grocery store as often and make good use of the pantry this summer. Our summer meals also look a lot different than other meals due to needing to take advantage of the yumminess that the local farms produce.
I have 2 small farm stands close by that we frequent and just picked up a wealth of peas in the pods so I knew I needed to use them up along with a strong constant summer fix of bbq beans but I needed some kind of "main" to go with them.
I was at a loss and also in a pinch for time, as I had tore apart the kitchen to paint durring nap time. Sooooo thank you MorningStar farms for coming to our rescue. I'm not a big fan of fake meat but every now and then a good old veggie burger does fill the void on a plate pretty good in a hurry.
I found this patty style, which has a different kick and texture than the typical veggie burger. Jeff likes to fry an egg and top it off with a bit of swiss american.
Everyone seemed just fine with my lack of gourmetness today so I felt the need to pick myself up with dessert, and with the last of the fresh strawberries calling out to be used I got to work and came up with this tweek scone.

Strawberry and lemon glazed scone

Here's what you need:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons maple sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5-7 tablespoons cold smart balance
1-1/4 cups Coconut milk
1 cup strawberries, chopped

GLAZE:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon smart balance
1 tablespoon Coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon almond
here"s what you do:


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Smoosh in butter until you get coarse crumbs. Stir in Coconut milk just until moistened. Fold in strawberries. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
Pat into a 9-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Cut in as shown

Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, smart balance and milk and almond; drizzle over warm scones.


Do as we did and sit the porch enjoy the calm of the end of the day (and get ready for Big brother (my 1 summer TV fix)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers